News and Gist gallore!

Saturday, December 28, 2013

I’m giving a tenth of my prize money to God

Queen Ubah is Nigeria's Centenary Queen. She clears the air on
controversies surrounding her crown, what is expected of her and the
legacy she wants to leave behind in this interview withAdemola
Olonilua
Before this centenary pageant, have you done any other pageant?

No, but I was blessed to hear about this centenary pageant. This
pageant was a bit more conservative than most as there was no swimwear
segment. It was more of a classic, timeless affair and I felt it was a
perfect fit for me.

How did you hear about the centenary pageant?
I got to know about it through a close friend. My friend saw potential
in me and encouraged me to fill out the form online because she
believed in me.

Did your parents give their aproval?
Yes. My parents were aware of my participation in the pageant and were
in full support of it. I would never do anything without their
approval or consent.

What was your experience during the competition?
It was one I would describe as a journey of growth. I travelled to
Bayelsa State, which I have never been to and had the opportunity to
experience their culture, food, customs and art. I met a lot of
wonderful girls from different tribes and states in Nigeria. The
pageant was very well organised, and a few of the girls who had
participated in pageants before noted that this one was different
since everything was provided for us. We had beautiful evening gowns
provided by Sunny Rose. Not having to worry about these things took a
lot of the pressure off us so we could all just focus on the
competition. I also got to take part in activities such as the cooking
competition by Maggi, football, treasure hunt, debate, karaoke and
fashion show with my fellow contestants. I had the opportunity to bond
and make friends with a great group of women. Altogether, it was a
wonderful experience.

Was there a time you thought about quitting the competition for any reason?

Yes. There was a time I thought of quitting the pageant because I was
missing my family. I have never stayed away for such a long period
with barely any communication with them.

What was your motivating factor?
My motivation was the crown, and all that comes with it. To win the
pageant meant an opportunity to represent Nigeria, and an opportunity
to make a difference in causes that I'm really passionate about.

Did you expect to win? What went through your mind when you were
declared the winner?

I didn't expect I was going to win but I was hopeful. It came as a
total surprise to me. At the point I was called out as Nigeria's
Centenary Queen, I just kept thanking God. My mind did a quick
flashback of the journey so far leading up to that very second and I
was really grateful to God that I held on strong.

What is expected of you as the centenary queen since the crown is a
lifetime one?

As Nigeria's Centenary Queen, I'm expected to live a life of servitude
to my people, to be a role model and source of inspiration to the
youths. Then again, I am expected to bring about empowerment to the
youth and to promote peace, love and unity among Nigerians. I would
also showcase our beauty, culture and tradition as a country and use
it as leverage for economic growth and development. I am expected to
be a good representative of my country, both here and abroad.

What have you planned to use your prize money for?
First and foremost, I would give my one tenth as tithe to my God, my
creator. I would divide the balance into three parts. I will give the
first part to my parents who brought me up as the strong and
determined woman I am today. Then, the second part, I would invest in
a profitable business which would generate more income for me. The
third part, I would do what is closest and dearest to my heart, I
would use it to finance my pet projects which is to promote female
education in parts of the nation where it's still an issue.

Before the contest you were a video vixen, what was it like?
After I finished my university education, I didn't want to stay idle
and I also wanted to save up for my Master's degree. So, with the
permission of my parents I took up some modelling jobs and also
featured in a few videos. I wanted to explore my creative side which I
got to do with the roles I acted in the videos.

People have been complaining that ladies in music videos are always
semi-nude, what do you have to say?

Some people don't mind showing some skin while some others do.
Personally, I was always well dressed in the videos I participated in.
However, on a general note, I have come to realise over the years that
that isn't the standard for moral uprightness because at the end of
the day, the character of a person would be a better criterion to
judge the person with.

Now that you are a Queen would you still be a video vixen?

No I will not. As I said earlier, video modeling was never a permanent
career option.

0 comments:

Post a Comment